09 March 2011

The Architect

This one is part of an idea I'm tossing around. The name comes from a new song by Rise Against called Architects. I hope to continue this one soon, but I want to get this part out there for corrections and any ideas any of you may have. Can't wait for the feedback.



We walked up the spiral stair case. Each step taken added to the weight that pressed down upon my conscience. In stark contrast, my companion seemed to grow lighter as we ascended. His step was quicker, and his eyes burned with a dancing fire. A small smile touched his thin lips while I struggled to keep my features from showing the doubt that was growing within. Finally we stood at the final step, and he paused there, his bare foot hovering over the precipice. I felt my heart sink as he turned to look at me with those ice blue eyes.

The Architect stood perfectly still, sizing me up. His body didn't move. His feet were grubby, caloused. His clothes were fraying at the edges, but not openly torn. His short hair was tousled and unkempt, but not wild. I held his gaze as long as I could, but soon found something on the staircase that was worthy of my examination. It was a long minute before I dared glance back up at him. He hadn't moved.

"Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before?" he asked into the silence. Each word he spoke stung like a thrown stone. I gave a careful nod, not trusting my voice to stand strong. He seemed satisfied by my response, and he stepped onto the upper landing then danced onto the outer balcony of the lighthouse. The light of the full moon shone through the doorway as I followed him. He was outlined by the glow as he leaned dangerously over the edge on his tiptoes. The sea breeze caught his hair and he had a halo for just a moment. Then he turned from the ledge and danced around to the other side.

I cast one last glance to the rolling waves before following him around. I looked down, following the ridge of land that extended out into the water. I followed it back to the shore, where the sand faded into the water. Past the sand to the trees with big leaves and wide roots. The trees to the city streets, invisible behind buildings and houses. Up into the heart of the city, to the sky scrapers that stood reaching for heaven. As if we could grope God with our towers. As if we were worthy.

I felt old anger rise in my throat, and my indecision faded. I looked at the Architect, meeting his cold gaze. His smile spread into a genuine grin that touched his eyes and showed white teeth, striking against the night around us.

"Welcome back." I smiled then too. I looked at the city again and saw the hubris, saw what the Architect had seen his whole life. My anger knotted in my gut, giving an acrid look to the city. He passed me a small metal sqaure. There was a switch and a button on the front panel of it. I flipped the switch without any hesitation. Then with one last glance at him I pressed the button.

No comments:

Post a Comment