02 February 2011

Inaugural

This is something I've been meaning to do for a long time. Some days I'll post a little bit of writing that I manage to eke out. Others I might find it in me to drive for a larger goal. Or maybe a simple commentary on something I've noticed. But I will post three times a week. If I falter, chastise me. If I succeed, critique the work. Hang me out to dry and beat me like a dirty rug. Thank you all.

First bit after the jump.



He sat there at the end of that wooden walkway. Listened as the waves caressed the shore. Felt the strength of the cool breeze through his hair. Basked in the subtle warmth of the sun. Breathed deep the salty air. But he saw through the dark blues of the water, through the golden rays of light, and through the tears in his eyes. They fractured the light, casting a rainbow of shadows across his vision. He made no move to wipe them, for more were waiting.

Breathe in.
Breathe out.

He sensed her standing there, just off the walkway. Watching. Heard her take the first step. Felt the wood shift under him with the next. Each step shook his foundation, pushed him deeper into the shadows of his vision.

Then she was next to him. Standing as a statue facing the water. For just an instant, time froze. But he couldn't look at her.

Wouldn't.

She placed her foot on the stair and the moment dissolved. Then she was standing on the sand looking out over the gentle waves. He couldn't help but see her then. Had to watch as she walked into the water and vanished below the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment